Friday 22 June 2012

Infinite importance?

“Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.” (C.S. Lewis)


'Infinite importance'. Enormous, immeasurable, supreme, total.

Then why do I often act as though the gospel is moderately important, justifying my lack of commitment with the feeble excuse that 'it's just one of those days'?

If the gospel message is so amazing, so free, life-transforming, why isn't his love proclaimed every time I open my lips?

If I am one with Christ, why doesn't my every action reflect His love and humility?

If the one with whom I have entered into a relationship is the Creator of the world, and the Saviour of mankind, why isn't listening to his Word always an immense privilege, and talking to Him the highlight of my day?

These questions could go on infinitely. And they could create an infinite abyss into which I could sink deeper and deeper as I focus on my own propensity to fail. But that would be an infinity of darkness and anguish, things from which I have been set free!

So instead of dwelling on an infinity of doubt and inadequacy, I chose to focus on the One who is infinitely certain and certainly infinite. Instead of dwelling on my failure, I chose to look to His victory.

Because that is what Christianity is about - not my inadequacy, but His glory, which is of infinite importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment